Monday 17 August 2015

My Grimsby Table Tennis Teams


 
(China TT Team 2012 by ESPN Go com)
 

Here is a “list” of some of my Grimsby League Table Tennis teams. I moved to Grimsby\Cleethorpes in 1982 and NALGO Secretary the late Don Newton put me straight into his 6th Division side. The rest is history as they say. (The last team I played for in Doncaster (D1) was Thorne YC B – Mick Abbott, Ian Farmer, Neil Walters. Then I had half a season in Leeds with Bramley Ebenezer in Divisions 5 and 7 (all 3 player teams)).
 
1982\83 – Division 6 – NALGO D - (4 Player Teams) Roy Lincoln (Capt.), Dave Gregory, Angie Gorrod, Paul Fairbrass, Jim Wills, Braithwaite, Jack Mayor, Diane Lund, Hallam, J Noble, K Lund…
83\84 – D5 – Still NALGO D – Don Keighley (Capt.), D Gregory, Roy Lee, P Fairbrass – LEAGUE CHAMPS.
84\85 – D4 - As Above + Terry Reddington and Reserves Andy Bruford, Will Jenner, Noble, Braithwaite and Don’s son Ian Keighley.
85\86 – D3 – Jenner, Reddington, Gregory, Bruford + reserves Maureen Lincoln, J Mayor, D Keighley etc.
THREE PLAYER TEAMS CAME IN ABOUT THIS TIME.
86\87 – D3 – JOINED\Transferred to NALGO (Cleethorpes Council) B at Yarra Road Old Post Office Cleethorpes – Richard Wilson (Capt. Initially until I took over), Dave Wagstaff. UNCHANGED until 1996 when Dave Retired.
Highlights:
87\88 – WON D3 TITLE.
88\89 (?) – Beaten Cup Semi Finalists (To Ross D: Dave Roberts, S Higgins, J Whattam?).
89\90 – WON D2 TITLE (promoted for one season).
93\94 – BEATEN CUP FINALISTS (To YMCA B: Steve Blow, Ian Nicholl, Matt Barker).
94\95 – WON D2 TITLE with John Whitfield in squad for that season. Promoted for one season (John left after 94\95 season and joined Police team).
7\11\95 – Cup – Played Phil Sharpe, Jean Ashwell and Will Monk – later significant. We won by 16 and I shared games with Phil 17-21, 21-5.
95\96 – D1 – Played (Parkside A) Mick Corry, John Lilley and John Hancock. I got 16-21, 10-21 against Hancock.
1996 – To repeat, Dave Retired.
96\97 – (D2) - Paul Watkinson Joined but I went off with Stress until September. Steve Higgins played.
97\98 – Richard Wilson, Paul W? Maurice Reed and myself + Roger Deboick, Bruce Robinson, Ray Oxby, Paul Seed etc. Relegated.
Highlight – Drew Cup Match with Marion Lilley, Wendy Newman and Angie Bray. Lost replay.
98\99 – D3 – Richard Wilson, Paul Watkinson and Myself. WON D3 TITLE. Reserve Maurice Reed?
99\2000 – D2 – Maurice Reed added, Paul W Left so Matt Dean Added. WE WON CUP.
2000\01 – D2 - Myself, M Dean, Neil Corry then Richard Returned from Absence. R Deboick, Dennis Burgoyne reserves. Paul W DN Play.
01\02 – I JOINED PARKSIDE E (as was) – D2. Ken Chesman (Capt.), Trevor Winslow, Roger Beamish (rejoined late to replace Ken for a while). Reserve Angie Bray.
02\03 – (D2 for a few years) - Ken Returned. Roger Packed in during January I think.
03\04 – Became Parkside D – Bob Want joined. Reserve Stewart Dean.
Highlight – I lost 4 and 12 to J Hancock in Cup.
04\05 – NO Ken again (since 5\4\04). Reserve Angie Bray. 7\3\05 – I was side-lined with back trouble. Came back but on 4\4, 8\4, 11\4 it was just Trevor and I.
05\06 – Terry Smith joined and with that WE BECAME NALGO F. Trevor and I continued. Ken Rejoined 17\10 (Rota). Relegated.
WE WON D3 TITLE. (My records now ceased for a while).
08\09 – JOINED NALGO M – D4 – Don Newton (Capt.), Jack Blyth, John Holmes. Finished 2nd in league.
09\10 – FORMED NALGO F with Jack Blyth and Sean Ward. Entered D2. WON D2 TITLE – Pl 16 W 16 (5 points dropped in total). We then went our separate ways into D1 and Sean won Men’s Singles Title (twice to press).
10\11 – I joined Clee Sports C (D1) – Ryan Wadham (Capt.) and Trevor Vinson. In mid-season I was transferred via The Ashwells to Pipefit Supplies C (D3) – Colin Tyas (Capt.) and Brian Lomas. I sadly replaced Eric Williams who unexpectedly passed away after a fine career.
12\13 – Team Renamed NEMESIS. Brian Lomas Capt. Dennis Burgoyne Joined after Colin retired (following spell in D4). We were promoted to D2 then placed in new D2 (third tier).
14\15 – New D2 – Phil Sharpe Joined. WE WON CUP.
15\16 – D2 – Still Brian Capt., Phil and I. Dennis may or may not join later. That’s where we are at.
 Paul Butters
 
© PB 17\8\2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment