Tuesday 27 November 2012

LATEST


(Picture Credit - Competive Table Tennis by tsor)

Clee. Tues. 27\11\12. 11.50.

From Facebook Note on the Scunthorpe One Star Tournament, played Saturday 24th November:

“How did everyone do? Sean, Jack, Jon and Brian were still going strong when I left 1 hour b4 sunset. As for me, I didn't disgrace myself. In the Vets Group I played Hon Kau Choy (?) (Nottingham) and of course lost 5-11, 4-11, 5-11. He was an unusual player: a pen-holder using short pimples with very thin sponge yet still using lots of spin. Fortunately for me he started in first gear...

Then Clive Mitchell (Scunthorpe) beat me 3-11, 3-11, 7-11 with some more orthodox loop-play. Only the top player went through from the group and
that was Hon. He played Brian Allison at one point.

In the Men's I played 14 year old Will Hornsey (Scunthorpe D2). 10\10 for aggression from him! He got some lucky edges etc. but frankly outclassed me: 2-11, 5-11, 11-8, 7-11. Then I beat 13 year old Lloyd Pearson (Wakefield) 11-2, 11-7, 11-5.

The "Consolation" saw me face our own Brian Allison! As usual I could not handle his weird long-pimpled spins and I lost 3-11, 3-11, 7-11, just like against Clive Mitchell.

When I left, Jack had reached the semi finals of the Juniors and Sean and Jon were still going in the Men's. John Aberra was maybe still in the Consolation. Brian and Eileen were still going, and Eileen was umpiring a lot. Eileen of course won the SCREAMING competition. lol

PS Eileen later told me that Sean's Semi should have been the Final! He was very unlucky. He says he lost 13-15 in 5th! Jack tells me he was Runner-Up in the Junior Boys event.

Eileen was happy to beat a GOOD woman and finish 2nd in her group. Brian I think reached the Vet's Final and the Consolation Semi or something. He might have beaten the Chinese guy. Something like that.

PPS the Scunthorpe Club website confirmed that Sean's semi with eventual Winner Reece Lo (Hull) was the highlight. Reece beat Hon 3-0 in The Final. Hon won the Vet's. Eileen lost the Women's to Rachael Codd (Hull). Mark Firth from Derbyshire beat Jack in the Juniors from 0-2 down. Tomaszi Chabowski (Scun) won Consolation Final against Brian 11-9 in the 5th."

Think that’s everything.

From Facebook today:

“After doing so well this season, and bragging about it as usual (!), my team Nemesis met its Nemesis last night. Clee Sports C (Marland, Spencer, Saywell) beat us 10-0. I led Tom Marland 2-1 in games and 8-4 but he came back to beat me about 11-6 in the 5th. I had a similar defeat to Tom Spencer and had little left against Sam. And I came nearest in my team to winning any matches. That's me back down to 61% :( .

Sadly I checked those old results I have kept. This was my 10th 10-0 defeat in Grimsby since 1990.

The others: 12th November 1990 to Stones B (D1) (including Pete Calvert!); 25th Oct 91 to Caistor A (D2) (Pete Taylor et al); 1st Dec 92 to Parkside D (D2) (Fred Watson et al); 21st Oct 95 to Parkside A (D1) (Mick Corry, John Hancock, John Lilley); 21st March 96 to NALGO A (D1) (John Bray et al); 11th April 96 to Tetney A (D1); 7th Oct 97 to Parkside G (D2) (Tony Roberts, Ian Woodford, Malcolm Gregory); and 20th April 2000 to Police (D2). John Whitfield featured in Both the NALGO and Police defeats!

Another titbit: I beat Kev Cooper (then in D2) TWICE in season 91-92: 21-16, 21-15 and 21-14, 21-18!!!”

That covers everything for now. Out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment